Cover Letter: Health Promotion Internship

495 Paul Hardin Drive
muznahk@live.unc.edu
Phone: (919) xxx-xxxx

March 10, 2016

Jason Horay
Medical Mutual
700 Spring Forest Road
Suite 400
Raleigh, NC 27609

Dear Mr. Horay,

I have always had a keen interest in the health field. As a child I loved listening to my older sister describe new technological advancements in the medical world, as well as the challenges and opportunities for health behavior and wellness promotion around the world. When I saw the Health Promotion Internship listing on Medical Mututal’s website, I was delighted to be able to apply for the position as it combines my passion for the field with the requisite practical experiences and skills.

I am currently a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and intend to pursue a Nutrition (B.S.) degree from the Gillings School of Public Health. I also plan to attend medical school after graduation. My previous and current academic coursework consists of several foundational courses relevant to this position, including Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, and Exercise Sports Science.

Additionally, my current job at the Collaborative Studies Coordinating Center (CSCC) in the Department of Biostatistics has allowed me to practice and enhance a variety of key skills required in a Health Promotion Intern. Collecting and analyzing programmatic records and statistical data have made me proficient in Microsoft Excel and comfortable with different types of research software and work-flow processes. I have developed excellent communication and team building skills through regular one-on-one and virtual project collaboration with local and national research sites, program supervisors and co-workers. Completing self-directed trainings for all programs I use and website management functions I perform also underscores my ability to learn quickly and grasp new concepts easily.

Furthermore, my extracurricular experiences from high school can be highly valuable for this internship. As an example, being selected to participate in the North Carolina Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics gave me the opportunity to develop and implement the type of rigorous research project that would be necessary for this internship. Similarly, as an active member and leader within numerous non-profit and health-focused organizations such as Cary Teen Council and Manna Project International, I have worked closely with partners to promote, implement and evaluate different types of organizational activities.

The North Carolina Medical Society Employee Benefit Plan sounds like a highly valuable resource for North Carolina physicians and practices. Working as a Health Promotion Intern on this program will be a meaningful and enriching experience. Based on my genuine interest in the health sciences field as well as my educational and professional experiences, I believe I am an excellent candidate for the position and hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Muznah Khan