Your cover letter (or personal statement) is a companion piece to your CV/resume. Its purpose is to highlight and expand upon those skill sets that you already have and to account for those you don’t yet possess (or may possess in a more round-about manner).
- You should begin drafting your cover letter gathering enough information about the institution offering the position and the soft and hard requirements/recommendations of that position.
- Next, examine your CV to see how you fit for the position: list all the recommended and required skills for the position in question
- Using your CV, expand upon the recommended and required skills you possess–present an argument as to how you background makes you a good (or excellent) candidate for the position.
- See where you might apply other skills to fulfill the recommended or required skill-sets listed in the application.
- Account for what recommended or required skills you lack (if necessary)
- Finally, you should Format your letters appropriately! Please use the linked guide compiled by Dr. Julie Fann as a helpful reference!