Doctors Without Borders Internship Profile (Sonya)

Doctors Without Borders/MSF is an organization dedicated to aiding people worldwide where the need is greatest; workers, volunteers, and interns deliver emergency medical aid to those affected by conflicts, epidemics, disasters, and/or exclusion from health care. One recent campaign operated within the organization, the Access Campaign advocates the importance of international access to essential medicines in the hope of achieving sustainable solutions to reduce price of medicines and to stimulate research on diseases that primarily affect less developed countries.

Of the many office internships offered, “Access HIV and Tuberculosis Policy Intern” interests me the most. The summer internship starts on May 31 to August 12 and the application is due April 18, 2016. Accepted interns will work 20 hours per week.

The HIV and TB Access Policy Intern will be supporting the campaign’s activities and enhancing efforts to improve the quality and accessibility of HIV and TB services. Specifically, I will be expected to convene conference calls of working groups and assist with preparation, note taking, and distribution of key documents. Also, I will be drafting letters to policymakers and global health actors and will be assisting the HIV Policy Advisor with conducting research, collecting information, and maintaining a database on essential information related to HIV and TB national policies; assisting the Policy Advisor in convening internal and external meeting and assisting him/her with writing memos will also be a part of my duty. Furthermore, I will be collecting and distributing general information relevant to current Access topics, conferences, advocacy targets, and related NGOs and will be tracking the campaign on media; keeping the calendars of major global health meetings and conferences up to date is also my work. All of these work must be done while providing general administrative support and maintaining a database of key literature and references.

While the internship does not require any particular academic credentials or any form of post-internship presentation, the office strongly prefers candidates with knowledge and interest in global health, including HIV and TB. Those with a sharp focus on HIV/AIDS and TB policy advocacy and on the disparity of access to crucial health care around the world will find this internship ideal. Only a resume and cover letter are to be submitted via email; letters of recommendation and personal statements are unnecessary and there is no separate application questionnaire.

Through this internship program, I will gain practical work experience in the field of my interest and will support the organization’s work in various departments of communications, development, program, human resources, etc. Additionally, I will be given a basic yet first-hand introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. My knowledge – of global health actors, legislative processes, pharmaceutical research, and limited access and affordability to health care – will advance as well. As I plan on working with a NGO in an underdeveloped country in the future, I find this internship especially helpful.

However, since a significant number of MSF’s missions are based in French-speaking countries, ability to speak French is highly valued (they say it is “not essential” but “highly desirable”). I think this linguistic standard somewhat limits some candidates from experiencing the whole spectrum of their mission, and Yes, I lack in this aspect.

All office interns are paid $10 per hour. Even though there are no other costs or fees for participation, I am in charge of my own housing and accommodation in New York City, where the main office is located.

(The font changed as I copied and pasted it, and I don’t know how to change it into a normal “paragraph” font..)