Medical Marijuana Query Letter

Addie Frank
Horton 241
411 Skipper Bowles Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Dear Ms. Sarah Boyd,

My name is Addie Frank, and I am a student at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. I am looking for a magazine or journal to publish my newest article, “Weed is What You Need”. I believe this article would fit in well with the style of your journal.

As you may have seen in recent years, the legalization of recreational marijuana has been very popular in the news. The curiosity about marijuana has brought more scrutiny to this topic. Currently, only four states have legalized it recreationally in the United States despite its controversial use and “benefits”. One of those “benefits” is medical. I say “benefits” because research and case studies still have yet to fully confirm 100% that medical marijuana is a real thing.

Did you know that medicinal marijuana is actually legal in 19 states? Although almost half of the United States legally allows the use and consumption of marijuana, the controversy over its actual benefits continues to push forward. “Weed is What You Need” is an article that discusses this issue and how the medical front is pushing towards greater legalization of medical marijuana and proving its benefits in cases like Parkinson’s disease or psychosis. With this article, questions as to how marijuana went from being illegal everywhere to slowly becoming legalized across the nation medically, and recreationally from Colorado to Hawaii will be answered. I want to show how this issue is stuck in a loop in the legality of the drug rather than the issue being focused on the benefits it can bring.

This article will start off with interesting facts about medical marijuana and what it actually does to the body when smoked- this will draw the reader in. By starting off with this, the reader will understand better the physical implications of marijuana. Then I will move into my overarching angle: the loop of legality of medical marijuana. Because medical marijuana is illegal in most of the United States still and used minimally in the places it is legal, case studies and research about its benefits are inhibited. However, on the other side, because there are not many case studies and research out there showing how beneficial medical marijuana can be; changing political policy about medical marijuana cannot happen without the proof from such research. It is a never ending cycle unless political policy changes to allow more research or for studies to happen regardless of the law.

After the discussion of the history of the policy and this loop, I will move into two positive case studies and one negative case study about medical marijuana. A study on motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease will be discussed and how it shows benefits of medical marijuana. Another study about repressed nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy will be discussed and how the chemicals in marijuana can be effective if not more effective than traditional medications for this symptom of cancer treatment. On the flip side, a case about medical marijuana used in treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder went badly and caused psychosis and hallucinations due to body chemistry. This shows that not everyone reacts well with marijuana. Finally, I will end with my opinion on the case of medical marijuana (one you can probably infer from the sound of this letter), but I will save that to share if you decide to publish my article.

I hope this gives you a taste and feel for what “Weed is What You Need” would be about and that it intrigues you. I hope to share more about this issue and bring light to the loop of legality of medical marijuana because as the title of this article suggests, marijuana can bring lots of benefits to different medical conditions.

Sincerely,

Addie Frank